Pages

10.04.2013

Whose Power?

When Isaiah was just a little guy he was drawn to the espresso maker. Now I'd like to think that was because his dad is a coffee drinker, but no, he just wanted to press the glowing red button that starts the pump and pulls the shot.

He wanted so desperately to push the button on his own, but 1 year old fingers aren't strong enough to overcome the resistance of the spring loaded button. That's probably a built-in safety feature so 1 year olds can't get access to caffeine without their parent's approval.

Now there was a way for him to press the button all the way down but it required something else...me. As Isaiah placed his finger on the button, I put my finger on his and provided the force for starting the machine.

Sometimes this seems like a picture of how God works. The metaphor doesn't carry all the way through. But I know that's been me, trying to accomplish something that there is no way I could do on my own, but when I obey and step out in faith, God shows up and provides what's needed. Sometimes that's power, other times it's patience.

This is the way it's supposed to be though. Jesus sent His disciples out with His authority to obey Him in something they couldn't do in their own power.
Then Jesus came up and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,  teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” - Matthew 28:18-20
So will you step out in faith to press a button you're not strong enough to press on your own?

2 comments:


  1. Your mode of describing the whole thing in this paragraph is really nice, every one can simply be aware of it, Thanks a lot. capital one card login in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is important and all. But imagine if you added some great photos or videos to give your posts more, "pop"! Your content is excellent but with pics and clips, this site could certainly be one of the most beneficial in its field. Excellent blog! yahoo login mail

    ReplyDelete