Pages

9.03.2005

Matt 13

So I'm reading through Matthew 13 now, which is all about the kingdom of Heaven, and this seems to be a big subject for Jesus. He talks about it a lot and says that those who have been taught about the kingdom are like those who bring out new treasures along with the old.

I've read the parable of the scattered seed before (Matthew 13:1-23), but maybe it is my recent brush with poverty, or my growing desire to see those in need be helped by others. But I noticed how Jesus describes the thorny soil.

He says that The one who received the seed that fell among the thorns is the man who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke it, making it unfruitful.

And I wonder how many times my "soil" has seemed real thorny, thinking only of my needs and how I can meet them. How many times have I traded my desire for things, and money, for giving to those who really need it? Am I really living out the Kingdom life that God desires? Is the vast majority of our country?

No comments:

Post a Comment