Pages

1.20.2006

Safe and sound

I do not propose to know the exact definitive answer on the issue of eternal security. It seems to me that stories of God's grace and the prodigal son, among others, plead for this view. On the other hand, there seem to be many passages which point toward the possibility of "stepping over the line" if you will.

It is on my mind because we had to do a "Eternal Security in Hebrews" project for my Hebrews - Revelation class. There are good arguments both ways, and I don't intend to choose one right now, or debate for either side. What I do want to do is ask a question.

Is the question Can I loose my salvation the wrong question to ask?...Or better question is, Is salvation only about getting into heaven?

If salvation is only about getting myself into heaven, then I suppose wondering if I can lose that salvation is a perfectly good question to ask. But if salvation begins now, and eternal life begins now, then a better question to ask would be Am I following Christ the best that I know how?

What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you Aaron that the better question to ask is "Am I following Christ the best that I know how?" To only be concerned about losing one's salvation is living a life of fear, and as we know, perfect love casts out fear. We need to instead be falling deeper and deeper in love with Jesus, because that is going to produce a life that pleases Him, and there is no fear in that!

    Salvation and eternal life do indeed begin now. Our salvation is far more than an insurance policy that guarantees us an eternity in heaven. To view it as anything less cheapens the gift that God has given us.

    I might also add to believe that God would somehow yank from us the gift of salvation that He has given us, in mind, cheapens grace. I am glad that I don't have to try to earn that gift, because there is no way I could!

    I love Ephesians 2:8-9..."For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."

    I am thankful for that gift and I am going to do all that I can to show my thanks to Him for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:08 PM

    "On the other hand, there seem to be many passages which point toward the possibility of "stepping over the line" if you will"

    Many? Can you name a couple?

    I have come to believe that if I believe I can step over the line and change my salvation status, then the reverse must be true: if I perform well, I remain saved. And that is Law. Jesus already established that the Law proves we cannot ever perform well enough.

    Salvation has to be a gift or it is unattainable. Beyond that, when you become a Believer, your identity changes from Lost Soul to Child of God. What can you possibly do to change your identity?

    If a slave girl marries a King, her identity changes to Queen. She is no longer Slave Girl. It's her standing/identity that has changed her, not her behavior.

    You cannot be bad enough to lose your identity as Child of God.

    Even if you try.

    Don't tell me you think you're doing well enough now to keep your salvation, If you think so, you are insulting the Gift God gave you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Uncle Dave! Thanks for the comments. I believe what you have said, that you can't 'loose your salvation'. I mostly wanted to pose the question...is it the right question...hopefully to reflect on our intention for asking it.

    That's not to say that it is an invalid question. Certianly there are many times when knowing it's answer is a comfort to people who have lost loved ones who "weren't the best people" before their exit from this world...not to mention, a comfort to me every time I mess up!

    Thank you for your thoughts

    ReplyDelete