Pages

8.16.2013

Now I Can't Walk

I love my first-born. He's full of energy, loves to learn and enjoys laughing. But sometimes he throws in the towel.

He might be walking along, trip on something and fall. He might have been kneeling too long in one position and try and get up with that leg-numbing pain. He might spill something on the way to the table.

These are all things that invariably happen to any toddler.

Usually his response is to go with the flow, follow our cues and move on. But sometimes, he says, Oh no, now I can't walk. Now I can't eat. Or my favorite, Now I can't go to bed! (He really knows how to extend the bedtime routine!)

Fortunately he gets over the pain/shame of whatever happened pretty quick and we walk/run/eat/sleep as planned.

As funny as those moments are (and as much as I try not to laugh out loud), I've come to realize that I do this too. Maybe you do as well.
  • That email sits in the inbox far too long...now I can't reply or have a good relationship.
  • That project hasn't been started and is overdue...now it's too late to ever begin.
  • I slept in and didn't get going on the ideal routine I wanted...now I can't have a good day.
  • Someone did something that I didn't like...now I can't treat them with love.
Some of these we face are simple and petty, some are big. Some are plans that just didn't go our way, sometimes we get hurt. It's a learning process for both my son and I that, in spite of hurt, fear, procrastination, or things not going our way, we can continue on.

So what about you? What's holding you back? What's got you thinking you can't take the next step? I'll bet it's not really as big as we make it out to be.
Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
- Philippians 3:13-14

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:22 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete