Pages

10.11.2005

Fear

I am prone to fear. I know that I am supposed to fear God, but I fear other things. Recently, I had some odd health conditions that made me fear heart-attack, and brain eeriness. I’ve also always had a subtle fear of the big earthquake that is supposed to hit the Northwest one of these years. You can imagine that the past two Asian quakes haven’t helped my fears.

Part of my fear is because I travel across the Marquam bridge every day to go to class. If we had an earthquake, I could be on the bridge…or the other side of the bridge, and be separated from Alison. I don’t like those thoughts.

But it has all made me realize that my fear is not in the right place. It has made me realize that my life is fragile, and that my Creator could end my life at any time.

So what should I do? Live life the way it is meant to be lived. Every moment for the glory of God. Of course it isn’t easy…and I should know this by now. But maybe I’m finally experiencing this reality.

I want to live each day to the fullest, do what God asks of me, and not cower behind fear of injury, or what people think.

Psalm 46 has been important in my life recently.

1 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."
Wonderful words.

2 comments:

  1. I can identify . . . It is easy to let fear control my life.

    I think of the verse that says "perfect love casts out fear."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:39 PM

    i dont mean to sound myth like or odd but when fear smiles at u, smile back.

    well i always like the verse joshua 1:9 (my fav) when im scared.it makes me feel like i can take on whatever is thrown at me

    -kelly

    ReplyDelete